Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Hiding in Plain Sight

There was a time, not that long ago, when I thought drinking the OptiFast shakes for 12 weeks was going to be the hardest thing I would ever do. I was starting a program that would require discipline and perseverance that I hadn't shown in over 20 years. For those 12 weeks, I continually surprised myself by making it through each day. I had tremendous results and began to see myself in a different light. There was no better feeling than putting in a full effort and being successful.

Which brings me to today. For the past two months I haven't lost any weight; in fact I've gained about six lbs back. Coming back to food is now officially the hardest thing I will ever do - until the next hardest thing I will ever do - and there is no easy answers. I have all the knowledge I could ever need but my problem is I am not always putting it to use.

My mental state is significantly better than it was in August so I truly believe that with some renewed effort I can get back on track. All my major motivators are still intact and I have all the proof that I can do what needs to be done. This blog started as a way for me to tell my friends that I was taking my health serious for the first time in a very long time. It blossomed into an honest account of how things went for me on a per-week basis. No matter what happened I always wanted to be up front with everything that was going on.

So I write to you all today to say that my struggle has become considerably more difficult. By no means am I giving up or going to offer any excuses. I can do better and the only way for it to happen is through a concerted effort. Everyday, every meal, is another opportunity to go where I want to go. I have never had any illusions about giving up everything I like; I have always been honest about that. Now is the time to go with a little more moderation, a little more exercise, and a lot more motivation. 

2 comments:

  1. I had a trainer explain to me that the fitter you become, the more difficult it is to lose, simply because in the beginning you are making such as drastic change. When you are fitter, trying to get fitter your body fights to maintain...Hang in there. I'm sure you can do it! We're all cheering for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it interesting that when you are trying to make changes in respect to food, your whole life begins to focus around that. When is the next meal? What will I have? If I do this, then I can have this until you really start to feel that the effort is too much.
    I have a daughter who struggles with the opposite issue. She suffers from a firmly engrained eating disorder which consumes not only her life but the entire family. We have struggled daily with how to get at least some protein into her for about 10 years. We have successful months of time, and then hit the bottom again.
    The entire focus of our family is on food and as a result of that, my hubby and I have eased our stress by eating. Funny how it works like that.
    Just like you and I, my daughter knows exactly what she needs to do to stay healthy.
    We can sometimes refocus her by reminding her of the things she is able to do WHEN she is healthy. And when she is not, it is certainly a motivator for me to cook meals that are healthy, nutritious and helpful.
    You will get your motivation back. Go back and read some of your earlier posts. You weren't talking then about running any 5k race. You weren't skating or doing stuff with your kids, and you most certaily were not holding up you pants with a rope. Life is full of little hills and bumps. Get over this hill and sprint on to the next one. Now up you get and get moving!!!!!! Joyce

    ReplyDelete