Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Where Ya Been?

Has it really been two weeks since I've written anything? What the hell have I been doing? Well, not going to the gym is a quick answer. Before this goes any further, I will say that I have really over-hauled my diet in the last week - The Blues Fundraiser Dance not-withstanding!! That night got sideways in a hurry....I am, however, a phenomenal dancer and my weight-loss allowed me to stay out there longer AND with a drier shirt!! - and after a trip back to the gym I was able to weigh myself in at 340.5lbs. All this means I have managed to maintain my weight for the last six weeks.

What does all this mean? Is this something to be excited about, or should I be disappointed that I didn't lose weight? I have not missed out on anything in the last 45 days. I've had cake at birthday parties, treats with the kids, drinks with friends and all the while I've managed to keep my weight. I haven't had a fast-food burger in at least two weeks - major accomplishment in the Burmaster household!! - but I have had a salad for lunch, everyday during those two weeks.

I've also been adding some salad before dinner to cut down on how much food I need to put on my plate. As I learned, human beings lose weight through diet, not exercise. One pound is equal to 3500 cals. As a big guy a good workout will burn a lot of calories. I was on the treadmill for 45 mins this morning and it burned 575 cals. I would need to do that six times to LOSE ONE POUND!!! Conversely, it is extremely simple to find 500 cals/day to take out of your diet. Switch the cream in your coffee to milk, look for low cal versions of your favourite products or leaner cuts of meat. Switch from 2% to 1% milk, and other small, minor changes can help you cut out 500 calories/day, helping you lose one pound for the week.

All of these changes are easily accomplished and it's in your grasp. I am getting back into the game, although, I don't think I ever left. I wasn't as aggressive as I could have been, but it seems like I've learned enough to keep myself afloat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment