Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Breif Departure

I thought I might take a few moments and instead of whining about the taste of vanilla OptiFast, I wanted to talk about something else. Today, we said good-bye to my mother-in-law after a lengthy, painful battle with cancer. We didn't always see eye-to-eye on things, but I loved how much she loved my kids, and that made me love her. She was a funny, witty woman, and always had a kind word...almost always.

I want to thank her for giving my daughter a love for sewing and cooking. To watch her make a blanket, with the joy she gets, makes my day. I want to thank her for giving my son the advice to "hurdle any of those big boys that try and tackle you". She also gave him half of his TD celebration, and I know he can't wait to chest bump and say FFFRRREEESSSSHHHHHH after every score this year.

But mostly I want to thank her for her daughter. Ang, the love, compassion and courage you showed during this time, was truly inspiring. The fact that you were able to be there for your children and your big baby husband at the same time continues to bring tears. The morning I spent with your mom was time I will never forget. The way her face lit up when she talked to me about you melted me.

Thank you Venus, Mom, for showing me what courage, fight, and strength, truly are. When we meet again, I hope you will have a half glass of wine like Christmas and I can see your face get red and listen to you giggle like a school girl. We will miss you, but never forget....

Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment