Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I am Looking for this Guy

Well, I talked a little about where I am, but the bigger story is where did I come from? A lot of people have struggled with their weight all their life. It has been a battle that consumed them and no matter what they tried, they could not win.

For me, it was a little different. When I left home for my first year of college, I weighed 215 lbs. When I come home for the summer, I was 205. I played 2-3 hours of basketball, 5 nights a week. I ran for 30-45 mins 3-4 mornings per week. I was active. Anyone who knows me, has a pretty good idea that I probably had a few beers here or there - and by that I mean I was getting after it 6 nights a week. This isn't a blog to talk about my college drinking problem - one bad habit per blog will be my rule - but I only bring it up to point out that I was not a health nut.

Activity level was a big deal for me. There were four regulars that played in that basketball game. It was 2-on-2 and real competitive. We had access to that school gym anytime we wanted and we sweat our asses off. It's some of my best memories.

As the next year started, we lost one of our regulars and were able to pick up a guy to play here-and-there, but it wasn't all that often. By the time I finished my third year of school, I weighed about 265 and I was on my way to today.

The bigger I got, the more self conscious I became, the lazier I got. It's a vicious cycle, and it's real easy to tell yourself you'll start tomorrow. I can crush this bag a chips tonight but I'll go roller blading in the morning and it will be all good. Well, I've been having that deal with myself for over 15 years and those roller blades haven't moved (that could also be because the one time I used them I tried to stop like they were hockey skates and lost a whole lot of flesh....Ang and Bob, you can stop laughing anytime about that!!)

This weight loss journey will always be a two-pronged attack; my battles with food, and my lack of desire to get off the couch. Ultimately, I control my own destiny. I can only be given so many tools before I decide to use them.

That guy in the pictures seems like a distant friend that I lost contact with. I can't reach him on Facebook, follow him on Twitter, or try and reach him by cell. He's lived in my house this whole time and I never thought to talk to him. I'm going to be spending alot of time remembering him and how happy and healthy he was. Maybe, just maybe, some of you will get the chance to meet him.....I'm counting on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment