Sunday, September 12, 2010

Back Home

I had my annual Guy's Weekend this weekend, and what a blast!! When I decided to do the OptiFast plan, I contemplated as to whether I would go or not. I used to leave at 1pm on the Thursday and get up there to the cottage and sit out on the deck and catch up with the guys with a few drinks. On the Friday we usually go golfing in the morning and head back to cottage for a few drinks and BBQ and repeat the same for Saturday.

This year we left a little later but were able to see the Vikings/Saints game - sorry, but that game sucked!! We waited eight months for that??? - and played some cards and talked a bit of junk as we tend to do. I had my couple of shakes and the fellas had their beers. We golfed on Friday and came back to play some horseshoes. As dinner was starting to get prepared, things started to get a little tough for me.

I could smell the ribs on the BBQ, and the burgers and the sausages and it was all a little over-whelming. I decided to go lie down for awhile and get myself away from the kitchen and clear my head. Thankfully, they all decided to eat at the same time, and quickly cleaned up and put everything away and asked me to come back out. I appreciated their looking out for me and was able to eventually snap out of my destructive desires.

All-in-all I'm glad I went. We left the cottage a few times through golf and some other attempted adventures and played horseshoes out back. Being able to get away from the all the food instead of having it stare me in the face was a nice break. Through some well timed power naps and some pep talks from amazing friends - and one "reminder" text from my wife - I came out the other side sticking to my plan and not eating, nor drinking, anything. 

I also took some time to think about how I will approach next year's Guy's Weekend. I realized I don't need to start having some drinks til later in the day. I also thought of some healthy snacks I can sneak in along with chips. Also, there's nothing wrong with a nice salad to go beside a healthy size of steak. I also realized that when I woke up every morning, I didn't feel like I was in a car accident, but I probably shouldn't get used to that. I think my friends loved it, only because their sleep wasn't interrupted by my chainsaw snoring. I'd say that's a pretty successful weekend.

Thanks for all the help boys.....and see Hasse, I didn't even bring up you getting hit in the beans with the golf ball from 140 yds.....oh, almost didn't.

2 comments:

  1. I am very proud of you for making through guys weekend...especially with the stress of dealing with those guys! Keep it up - you rock! Nicole P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will say this - those guys kept me sane the whole time. I thought my head was going to explode and they pulled me through.

    ReplyDelete