Friday, September 24, 2010

People Have Noticed

Let me preface this by saying that my wife and my mom have both told me they can notice my weight loss. They see it in my face, neck and shoulders. I also should tell you that I cannot notice a thing. I know my pants are looser, and don't even get me started about needing a new belt already, but when I look in the mirror I see the same guy I always have.

I'm sure it's a brain thing and at some point I'll see myself for what I'm becoming, but it's just not visible to me. However, the past two days at work I've had people come up to me and say the words everyone always wants to hear, "Hey, are you losing weight"? Seeing as I haven't heard those words being directed at me in quite a long time, I wasn't sure how to act.

So, I talked to them about what I was doing, and what I've accomplished. It's very liberating to tell people that you are succeeding at something they believe they could not do. Telling someone new about the program is always a fun thing because you get to see their reaction when you tell them you haven't eaten food in four weeks.

I'm almost five weeks in and I'm getting visible results. I'm spending more time now noticing the different scenarios which would have me eating. I am really starting to believe that I will be able to turn to things other than food when the time comes. I'm really starting to like what other people are seeing, and hope that soon, I will see it too.

2 comments:

  1. The more people you tell about your journey Russ, the more support you will gain. Everyone loves you - can't you feel all the love and support? Keep up the good work, and at this point, don't worry about what you see in the mirror. Look at all those supportive faces around you and be indpired by THAT!

    hugs to you!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Russ,
    In class my wife, Ruth and I have looked at everyone and we both see a weight loss in you. I give you a lot of props for not eating anything at all so far. I know I am guilty like we discussed in class before but I am impressed by your will power.
    Not a lot of people at my work know what I am doing and I thought it would be neat to just wait and see if anyone ever notices. I got my first "Have you lost weight?" two weeks ago and I got a couple more this past week. It feels awesome to hear that from people that have no clue and it does help motivate me even though I have doubts sometimes about the program.
    But whats discouraging is when people react to the "no food" thing, and think, in a way, I am basically starving myself and once I am done the shakes, won't I just gain all the weight back. It makes me think.
    But I explain how its a lifestyle change and I am going to learn how to eat properly once my shakes are done. I hate the feeling that I have to defend what I am doing. Someone called it a "fad" diet too. And that made me wonder about everything we are doing.
    But really I am starting to enjoy what I am seeing and how I am feeling and I know you will feel that way too.
    Paul Angrilli

    ReplyDelete