Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Back to the Grind

Week six is in the books!!! YEAHHHH!!!! I am half way through the no-food portion of the program and after today's loss of 6.6 lbs, I am down a total of 51.8 lbs!! Let's put this into perspective - we drove past a farm the other day and he was selling 50 lbs sacks of potatoes. If he was generous and gave us a few extra, I just dropped them out of my trunk!!

I have been having some issues with dizziness and headaches, but as I am programmed to do, I did nothing about it. I had a pretty bad one yesterday and made the mistake of having it when my wife was around so you know what that meant!! I left the house early today so I could speak with the doctor to see if it had anything to do with the OptiFast, or if there was another problem.

He took my blood pressure and had me go for some more blood work. We also discussed the possibility that I am not drinking enough water. I told him that if I could put rye in it I would drink it like it was my second job; he was not amused.

We compared my blood pressure from when I first started, and before we go into the numbers it should be explained that I really had no idea what was good as far as blood pressure went. He told me 120 over 80 was pretty normal and I sat there with a glazed look on my face and smiled and nodded. So, the 120 means Systolic, or when the heart beats and pumps blood. The 80 is Diastolic, or when your heart relaxes and fills with blood.

On July 29th I was 145 over 95, but today was 128 over 88!! Everybody that wants to lose weight has specific reasons. Vanity, health, whatever your reason, but when you put in an effort and see positive results, not only in the mirror but for your long-term viability here on earth, it's a rewarding feeling.

I've been writing this blog since August 2nd and been updating you on my progress since I started. You've all been so good to me with words of encouragement and helping keep my spirits up. I want to take this last paragraph and try something a little different - I want to see if I can motivate you. I want to see if I can convince you to park your car on the street when you come from work so you have to walk a little farther to get to the door. Park farther at work, walk to the corner store or substitute one food item for something lower in fat and calories. Try something small this week, and next week try something else. Add any cliche you want about how big tasks have to start with the smallest of steps, but do something today. You'll love it!!

Good luck and I would love to hear if you try something. I used to think Malibu Rum mixed with Gatorade would be my biggest contribution to society - and don't kid yourself, it's pretty awesome - but I think if just one person makes a change, and they give that to one person, this could be bigger...

Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment