Friday, October 8, 2010

Giving Thanks

It's Thanksgiving Weekend!! Well, for most of you - my American readers will have to wait another month for their blast of turkey and mashed potatoes. As it has been well documented I will be attacking this great food weekend with a liquid diet; no, not rye and water but my OptiFast shakes. I love this weekend; fall is my favourite  time of year and the meal is pretty strong too!!

I know that by doing what I'm doing, I am extending my opportunities to have turkey dinners for a long time coming. So instead of dwelling on the food - did I mention mashed potatoes and gravy? - I'm going to come up with some things to be thankful for.

I'm thankful for my parents and brother who give me the support I need to make it through. This will be the first time we don't have Thanksgiving dinner together, but they know what this is all about and let's face it, more left-overs for Bob!!

I'm thankful for an intervention that got me to where I am. It was a wake-up call and it has begun to give me my life back.

I'm thankful my TV is not broken yet. The 2010 Oakland Raiders are going to make for a long fall and winter. Don't even get me started about my last place fantasy football team!!

I'm thankful my kids are doing the things they love the most. Allie is in an acting class where she sings and will be putting on a show at the end. I know, you're thinking it's quite the stretch for her!! Zack is two games into his football schedule and has three TD's so far. Hockey season has also started so the smile is hard to get off his face.

I'm thankful for my wife. She has had some struggles, and these weekends don't make it easier.

So while you sit down with your families this weekend, remember not only the great things 2010 has brought you, but also the tough times. Nobody goes through life unscathed, but don't let it define you. Live your best life and enjoy your family and friends....and mashed potatoes!! Did I mention those?

Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment