Friday, November 26, 2010

Somebody Cheated....

Well, it happened. It seemed like it was building up inside me, screaming to get out. It called to me, "Russ, you have been so strong for 14 weeks, you earned this". I have been hearing that voice since Day One but always resisted it. I had a plan, and as my brother so aptly described it, "You are such a stubborn prick you will not eat anything for those 12 weeks!!".

We supported our little friend Josh in his Boy Scout Popcorn drive and purchased some cheese popcorn from him. Yesterday, after looking at it for a few weeks, I decided to have a few handfuls. I was able to stop myself after those few handfuls - let me just point out that it's AWESOME!! Never thought I would enjoy the white cheddar kind but I was wrong; it was dee-lish!! - and went about the rest of my day.

Now normally, I would have really been upset with myself, felt horrible and disgusted and then just smashed the rest of the bag to try and feel better. All the times in the past when I grabbed chips or some other food and ate it, that's how I felt and it just made me eat more. This time, strangely I felt good. I felt good because I knew that after a few handfuls I didn't need more.

I looked at myself and knew that I could choose to eat something that was not the best for me but know that I didn't need to gorge on it. I was always afraid that the first time I cheated it would open the flood gates and I would gain back 96 lbs in three days. It didn't happen. I made some mini-pizzas and veggies for the kids for dinner, had my salad and all was right with the world.

By no means am I weight-loss guru. Everything I have done has been laid out for me and I just needed to stay on the path. I already made the decision that I was going to have some drinks this weekend. It's definitely not in my allotment of two veggies, one fruit and two oz of meat but I'm going to have a few. I'm also bringing a veggie platter to avoid any potential for the mindless chip munching that can happen.

The streak is broken, and the world did not end. I for sure don't plan on making those kinds of choices a habit, but I am pretty sure it will happen again. I never wanted to be a 4% body fat guy whose was completely consumed by all things healthy. I only wanted to be the guy that lived to watch his kids get older.....and have a couple of guilt-free handfuls of white cheddar popcorn while he was at it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment