Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Canada's Food Guide

Today was an informative class. The entire hour was spent on the Food Guide. We'll spend some time on that, but first, I will say that I weighed in at 360.6lbs. I will save you the mental math and I lost 6.2 lbs for a grand total of 81 lbs in 10 weeks!! Not only am I psyched that my total number is Oakland Raider Hall-of-Famer Tim Brown, but I've lost 81 lbs!! I am closing in on the end of the first phase and am so pumped about the results.

Which of course brings me to the next phase which will be a transition back to food. We were re-introduced to Canada's Food Guide - remember Grade 4 when they gave you the sheet with the circle on it, cut into fours and it had the groupings of food you should eat? It's been updated now - they have a great website where you can create your own menu that can be downloaded and printed off.

The serving amounts haven't changed much, but it's a great insight into what a normal, healthy meal should consist of, and apparently, a 10oz steak with sausages on the side was not!! My plate is supposed to be half vegetables, one quarter meat, one quarter grain.....huh? This seems like I should have freaked out more but I'm working a new plan. Salads, carrots, cucumbers, peppers....these will be my new food friends.

I used to think I knew about food, but when she started talking about legumes I thought it was snails. There are alot of things out there that are going to be new to me and not having food for 12 weeks may have benefits that I was unaware of. I am told that my palate will change to the point that I should try things I never have before as the taste may be new and refreshing to me. Also, everything will be super salty - I find it really hard to believe but that's what I'm told.

So that's another week in the books and I'm still losing weight. Two more weeks and we can start with the food....but I may leave the legumes for someone else - name still freaks me out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment