Tuesday, November 16, 2010

"We may have used the word meal loosely"

The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride f@$%ing with you. F@#$ pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps - Marsellus Wallace, Pulp Fiction


With all due respect to my man Marsellus, today I am going to have to disagree!! I have just finished 12 weeks of a program that I thought I would have quit after two, with a 92.6 lbs weight loss after dropping 6.8 lbs this week to weigh 349 lbs and did not have one morsel of food!! I am proud as a moth...peach...you slip in one Pulp Fiction reference and all-of-a-sudden it's a full Quentin Tarantino dialogue!!

I have yet to fully grasp what I've accomplished so far, but the feeling is immense. About three weeks into the program we went to the States and were in Sears. I saw a rack of clearance clothes and they had a pair of $5 jeans on it. At that time I wore size 58 pants.....let me just take a minute for that to settle in....and the ones on the rack were size 50. I still wasn't sure if I could stay with the program, but I bought them anyways.

My thought process was simple; even if I never get down there it was only $5 and if I do, I will have some pants in six months. Well, I decided to try them on today and not only did I get them to my waist, I buttoned them up AND did up the fly!! Now, they are still a bit tight - I was pretty sure I was squashing the frank and the beans - but they are real close!!

I went down to the General a little early today and happened to see a man who was being interviewed before joining the program. It lead me to think back to my first day and Heather's dreaded words, "Take off your shoes so I can weigh you". After getting off the scale, seeing that 446.8 lbs, I thought I would never stop crying. I sobbed and blubbered like a school girl. If I had the ability, I would go back to that day and hug myself and thank that Russ for putting himself on this path. Don't get me wrong, I still cry, but only at important things like movies and that stupid Butterfly Kisses song!!

Last year I promised my son I would get skates and go back on the ice with him. I have not skated since I was 18 but I did buy the skates. They had sat in my basement until today when I went and got them sharpened. That's right, I went this afternoon and ice skated....and man do I suck!! I can't describe how liberated I was to go out there and wobble my way around. I fell a few times and made my way back up. My biggest fear last year was that I would fall, and like a beached whale, they would have to get equipment or something to get my big ass back up again!!

I received my "meal" plan - hence the title of this entry - and I will be doing some different eating plan. My meal can be 235-285 cals with one fruit, two vegetables and one 2 oz serving of meat. No dairy or grain products yet. HUH?? If I can have a 2 oz serving of steak, what the heck do I do with the other 10(just kidding.....as far as you know)!!! I had some serious plans for a turkey sandwich or oatmeal in the mornings - although if there are any lawyers I have created the Double Down light and need some help patenting that. It is one leaf of lettuce, three slices of turkey, tomatoes and cucumber, mustard, topped with another leaf of lettuce. YUMMY!!

So off I go to Week 13 in the knowledge that I have come so far and still have a ways to go. I can say, unequivocally, that I am proud of myself. I know that I didn't do this alone, but seeing as I was drinking all the shakes, I'm taking the credit!!

Russ

P.S. Ruth, there is no chance in HELL I am eating Brussel Sprouts!!

4 comments:

  1. Oh but Russ, brussels are yummy! You can't tell me that they are worse then the shakes you have been drinking? Your entire journey has given you a new outlook so, try something new, something old...it just may find a new place in that heart of yours??? Congrats on a job well done...you have exceeded and surpassed all expectations! I look forward to our first serving of cabbage together...xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I can only assume this is Michelle and it will be a cold day in hell when I eat cabbage...but I am up for some new stuff. I may need a week or two as my first meal - salad - almost made me vomit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take it slowly Russ...you've made it this far and you can keep it going - we believe in you! And dammit, I'd avoid those horrid brussel sprouts too! Don't stop possting - I live for Tuesdays!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing more to say except AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete