Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Little Perspective

Well, I'm finally home!! After my meeting I had to drive down to Niagara and then all the way out to Oakville before I could get home. Tough weigh-in today as I stayed the same. Mark, who is the "get-your-ass-off-the-couch-and-do-something guy, or as his business card says kinesiologist, told me at this point in the program I'm going to have weeks where I don't lose anything. My body has made some massive changes and sometimes it won't respond the way it has in the recent past.

I also need to take some ownership as well and recognize that I need to keep an eye on my portion size - roast beef and potatoes made an appearance this week!! - and quit using the cold as an excuse for not walking and get indoors. My activity has definitely lessened as the winter has come around so it's time to find other avenues to replace the neighbourhood treks.

A classmate talked about her struggles saying no to food at parties and I was asked about my approach. As is my habit, I rambled on forever, but the my main point that I was trying to get across was that you can't lie to yourself. I used to eat horrible things late at night and say that I would go to the gym early in the morning to even it out. Now, if I'm at that party and I want something snacky I can have it and not end up hating myself. No matter what food choices I make, I know I can always be honest with myself and know that I am eating for the right reasons.

As I mentioned the last time we spoke, the Burmaster Children's Charity Christmas Party was held on Sunday - am I crazy or does that thing need a new name?! We raised a lot of money for Bob Kemp Hospice and I am happy to report that due to the overwhelming response from the kids and adults we may bring it back for an eighth year. We had discussed making this the last year but Loser was such a huge hit, how could we retire it now (there are some trademark issues with this new game Loser and I don't want to give away the info and have someone make a million dollar game out of it without me!!)?

In perusing the comment section I noticed a new entry from Joyce Baker, or Mrs Baker as everyone knows her. She was a teacher at the school my kids attend and my wife and Michelle know her. I've seen her comment on a few other items, but this really touched me...so you know that means I cried!!! Here is what she wrote;
My family donates to a number of charities throughout the year, most of them children's agencies. (once a teacher, always a teacher). At this time of year, we try to top up the donations. Our family and especially our children are very spoiled and we are fortunate to live a comfortable life.
Here is where you come in. You have worked so hard and inspired so many people along the way, that I will reward your weigh loss this way. Fifty dollars has gone to the Salvation Army kettle campaign and today I will send $51.60 to the Bob Kemp Hospice. One dollar for every pound. (Notice I am doing it before you post this weeks stats LOL)
The hospice is so important to families, especially children of ill parents or grandparents and a very worthwhile cause.
You are teaching your children and your followers a valuable lesson. Nothing is impossible. Keep up the excellent progress and postings.
Joyce Baker (retired teacher,(but not old)from Ridgemount School. I did not teach your children but not for lack of begging at class creating time) 

It was a generous act, especially when you consider that we barely know each other. Thank-you Mrs Baker for your donations and kind words...and making me cry!!

This life is a hard road. Nothing is given and you have to realize that everything comes with sacrifice and hard work. There is no magic wand and I don't want things handed to me anymore. I relish the struggle and know that through that struggle I will gain so much more than weight loss...I'm earning my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment