Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Managing my Life

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Today we spent the hour of our class talking about how you manage your moods and dealing with the ups and downs of everyday life. Anytime something bad happened to me, I used that as an opportunity to feel bad for myself, which would generally be followed up with some combination of bad food. There is a downward spiral that was created and would lead to more food, which made me feel worse about myself, which made me eat more and on it went.

As I've mentioned before, I really see things on a different level now. I can recognize that good things actually do happen to me. The quote at the top rings so true for me because I had a low opinion of myself and assumed everyone else did too. The human psyche is a wonderful thing. Having some small success at the weight-loss thing has transferred to so many other areas of my life. I'm more confident now - hell I said I was going to enter a 5k and started doing them on the treadmill!! - and I'm generally more positive as well.

Learning to forgive yourself can be a grueling process and it means you really end up taking a hard look at yourself and what you've become. Many times I would look at people and think how lucky they were that their weight was something they never had to worry about. There is another quote that really puts that into perspective for me; "When the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, it may be that they take better care of it there" - Cecil Selig

No comments:

Post a Comment