Friday, January 7, 2011

Nothing to Say

When this whole journey began, it seemed like there was so much to talk about. It was easy, because everything was so new. There was 12 weeks of no food and all it's effects. There was the descending weight number and new realizations at the gym. Now I'm at a point when most of this stuff is old-hat. I found turkey pepperoni to use for mini-pizzas (less fat, cals, and most of the important numbers...and IT'S GOOD) but a whole blog entry on that will have you running to the next blog screaming "Russ has jumped the shark!!!"

I wanted to try and keep up with at least two entries per week and I thought today would be a great day to ask you guys what you're going to do for yourself this year. Most of you don't need to lose weight - all my regular lady readers are beautiful....yeah, I'm pandering!! - but there is something you want to do. I've always thought New Year's resolutions are lame and unrealistic. My belief is you need to be comfortable in your own skin before you can even think about changes you want to make.

Deciding to make a change is no easy task. I've gone to the gym twice this week and noticed quite a few more people in there than three weeks ago. I've always wanted to lose weight, even knew I had to lose it, but the motivation was pretty low. Whatever change you decide to tackle, understand what's involved. Many of those extra people I've seen at the gym will fall off, never to be seen again. Some of those people will stay, and their commitment will help them reach the goal they set-out for themselves.

I guess the question becomes, why did one person succeed, and the others will fail? Looking at my own situation, and my small measure of success, the only answer I can come up with is it had to come from within me. Whatever change I wanted to bring about, in this case weight-loss, it had to be because I want this change and it isn't for someone else. There will always be a nice by-product that my change will positively effect those around me, but if someone else was pushing me to do this, I would have failed.

One of the benifits of writing this blog has been different people confiding in me about their difficult journeys. I've had people tell me how they've tried and tried to lose weight, but it doesn't work for them. They want to join the program because it worked for me. The advice I try and give them is summed up above; there is no magic elixir. Whatever your change you want to make, I hope it's for the right reasons and you make sure you get the right info....but first, enjoy where you are now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment