Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Training has Begun

As I mentioned last week, I was taking a minor detour from my journey and heading to Niagara Falls for a weekend with the fellas. I decided to go with no plan and just enjoy myself and deal with the consequences when I got back. I weighed myself before I left - 337.6lbs if you're keeping track - and whatever happened when I came back I would deal with that.

Let's just say I have some "dealing with" to do!! A couple of KFC buckets - quick sidebar..that stuff's gross!! I have no idea how I used to eat it, and don't get it twisted I ate the hell out of those buckets, but it does awful things to your body chemistry.....we'll stop there - and enough booze to sink a tanker made for a rough Sunday AND Monday. That's right, TWO-day hangover.

On the trip down to the rented house, my brother and I started talking about my quick-trigger decision to enter a 5K. He started talking to me about the best way to get ready for one and I sat, intently listening. It seems so rudimentary, and honestly I'm not sure why it was such a revelation to me, but he said I needed to get on the treadmill...AND WALK 5K!!! Is it possible I've become stupid as I've gotten up there in age?

He told me the best plan of action was to walk at a speed of around 3.3 and an incline of two for a couple of weeks to get the distance down. Most treadmills at the gym only let you go for 60 minutes and that speed would ensure that I could get 5 kms in before my time ran out. He said once I was used to that speed, that I should increase it by a little each time so I can get up to a faster time and perhaps start running. I thought, yeah, let's just make sure I don't die at the 3.3 for an hour first!!

I awoke today, hangover completely in the rear-view mirror and was off to the gym to give my new adventure a whirl. I found my iPod, after having to tear the house apart for a few minutes, and away I went. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice to say I went 3.19 miles in 58:21, which works out to 5.13 kms. I did it and I lived to tell about. There is nothing more exciting than doing things you could never imagine accomplishing. I look forward to breaking the next barrier....and the next one after that. Who's with me?!?!

1 comment:

  1. I swear by the couch potato to 5K program. Worked for us!

    ReplyDelete